Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Calvin Berman's thoughts on Facebook after seeing "The Social Network"

Like many other great films, David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin's "The Social Network" left me feeling conflicted. Was the creation of Facebook, the movie's central focus, something to be treasured or scorned?

According to its fan page, Facebook was built to "help people stay connected." Staying connected has proven to be a hot commodity; in just under six-and-a-half years, over 500 million users have signed up for the free service.

I would agree that Facebook is an irreplaceable tool in helping me keep in touch with geographically distant, but affectionately close, friends and family. The social networking site enables me to interact with people I went to camp with and haven't seen for four or five years. I can also browse pictures of my little brother, who looks like he's taller than me now. Great.

For my generation, a written letter oozes formality. A call may be too forward. A text can come across as awkward and random. With people I haven't spoken too in a while, or those who I don't know as well, a Facebook wall-post or instant message is unassuming and well-received.

Facebook has proven a useful tool in helping people promote causes that they deem valuable. I have hosted seven successful political campaigns (shhhh, nobody needs to know that these campaigns were for high school student government positions) on Facebook "Group" Web pages, and I doubt I would have won those elections if Facebook hadn't made it easy for me to promote myself and encourage others to vote. I have also helped promote various charities, like Falling Whistles, a fledgling charity aimed at stopping the forced participation of Congolese children in war.

For all of the good that this social networking site provides, there are major qualms I have about its impact on me.

Too often, I will spend hours surfing the Facebook pages of my friends to the detriment of my responsibilities or, what's scarier, my desires. I can understand the appeal of interacting with friends on Facebook over writing a paper. The scary part is that I've found myself in front of a Facebook-illuminated screen instead of doing more enjoyable and socially rewarding things, like exercising or getting ready for a party.

Another serious concern I have with Facebook is that it gives users the courage and ability to act differently from how they portray themselves in non-virtual reality (anyone seen "Catfish?").

For example, I once had a classmate who I became friends with after seeing him almost every day in class. However, when the 2008 Gaza War broke out, he posted a Facebook status likening Israel's actions to those of the Nazi's. This infuriated me, not only because he never hinted at feeling this way despite my obvious support for Israel, but because he was too much of a coward to address me in person.

It's interesting to note that nothing any of us think or say about Facebook really matters. As my old pal Machiavelli once said, "It is not without good reason that the voice of the people is compared to the voice of God." OVER 500 MILLION people have spoken; Facebook is here to stay.

Nevertheless, I'm curious to learn what other people think. Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. A great piece. It was a joy to read, hardly felt like an mandatory assignment, instead it is a well thought out article that allows the reader to get a natural insight into the mind of Calvin Berman.

    I whole heartedly agree with both the pros and cons of facebook. Many a times I have spent hours going through profiles of old friends, which can be both exciting and addictive. The little updates I get from say you for example, about your daily life help me feel closer to home, but going through your pictures dating back to 2007 makes me feel like a border line creep and on some levels a sick pedophile ( you were a cute middle schooler). The shame I feel as I keep clicking through my friends profiles, makes me wonder is there some one out there in the world wide web, violating my profile? If there is I am flattered, but let them be warned I am not as cool in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed feelings about Facebook. On one hand, as Calvin stated, it brings close those that are physically apart, and I use it practically on a daily basis to do so. However, I think privacy of the large majority of Facebook users has been severely undermined.
    Before Facebook, people would actually need to have a conversation with someone they never met to learn the details of their life. But why ask when all that information is one click away? Just as emails and texting has robbed from the intimacy of a hand written letter and phone call, Facebook has taken us deeper into the digital world.
    As Ali said, it makes you feel creepy looking at the depths of someone else's life. But what happens when this power is in the hands of someone who does not feel shame? A Facebook whore. He or she will prowl Facebook looking for new information one practically everyone.
    So if you value your privacy, I suggest you only share your pictures with your closest friends. That doesn't mean a 1,342 of your friends... Ah i could ramble on for days about this, but I have to get back to building this shet. Ill come back and throw some more later.
    Much love cal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that you chose to write about "The Social Network." I think this movie has a strong connection with our generation because it has shaped our day to day lives and social interactions.

    With the growing reports of cyber-bullying, it is important to comment on this in regard to a negative aspect of Facebook. As you said, people are able to freely speak their minds and usually say more than they are willing to say in person. Should Facebook take more responsibility for this option of bullying or is it solely dependent on Facebook users?

    When you were in high school, you mentioned that you organized political campaigns and Facebook enabled you to get the word out. This reminded me of how Facebook has changed the way invitations for events and/or parties are sent and received. In high school, my friends and I organized almost every party or social gathering on Facebook because the site records all RSVPs and allows the information to be easily shared.

    Group messaging has also proven to be handy when organizing group projects for school, and although this can be done through simple e-mail, it is interesting that most of our generation chooses to use Facebook messaging instead.

    ReplyDelete